With the most recent cuts and injury related moves, the Colts are currently down to 75 players on the active roster. By Friday at 4 pm ET, they must be down to 53 players.
Here's my early week guess at the final roster, with an aside: this roster is solely comprised of players on the roster right now. The Colts will likely add as many as 5-7 new faces after the league-wide cuts, but that may not happen until Friday. For now, this roster is solely made up of current Colts.
QB: (3) Andrew Luck, Drew Stanton, Chandler Harnish
RB: (4) Donald Brown, Vick Ballard, Mewelde Moore, Delone Carter
LT: (2) Anthony Caastonzo, Ty Nsekhe
LG: (2) Joe Reitz, Seth Olsen
C: (2) Samson Satele, A.Q. Shipley
RG: (1) Mike McGlynn
RT: (2) Winston Justice, Jeff Linkenbach
TE: (3) Coby FLeener, Dwayne Allen, Dominique Jones
WR: (6) Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, T.Y. Hilton, LaVon Brazill, Donnie Avery, Kris Adams
DE: (4) Fili Moala, Cory Redding, Drake Nevis, Ricardo Mathews
NT: (2) Antonio Johnson, Chigbo Anunoby
OLB: (6) Robert Mathis, Jerry Hughes, Tim Fugger, Dwight Freeney, Mario Addison, Jerry Brown
ILB: (4) Pat Angerer, Kavell Conner, Jerrell Freeman, Moise Fokou
CB: (5) Jerraud Powers, Vontae Davis, Justin King, Korey Lindsey, Cassius Vaughn
S: (4)Antoine Bethea, Tom Zbikowski, Joe Lefeged, Mike Newton
K: (1) Adam Vinatieri
P: (1) Pat McAfee
LS: (1) Justin Snow
- I have a feeling about Matt Overton at long snapper. I think he could be kept and put on the practice squad, stored for the future when Snow leaves.
- The Colts HAVE to sign a NT off waivers. You can't go into the season with Johnson your starter, and Anunoby your only backup. That's pushing your luck way too far.
- I think with the injury to OT George Foster, Ty Nsekhe has a much better chance of making it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts kept another guard, like Mike Tepper or Hayworth Hicks instead.
- A few of these players will likely eventually be replaced by new names, especially offensive linement, cornerbacks, and defensive linemen. This is by no means a final roster, but just a Friday roster.
- I like Kris Adams at WR, but the Colts very well might go with five on the roster, and store a young guy (or two) on the practice squad. Personally, I like Adams and with Collie's injury, you need some depth at that position.
DJ Johnson was the best corner not named Powers in the 3 preseason games... I hope Tepper makes it over Shipley with McGLynn being backup C...Also, I believe Jeremy Ross is ahead of Adams right now. Also Jermale Hines might offer more run support, than all the other safeties. I could see a 4th TE - Miller making it. Fugger hasn't played yet, will be PS.... On a sidenote Brazill, Latarrius Thomas and Addison are the leading ST tacklers.
Just a roster question, do you think Chapman plays this much this year once he's off NFI list? Also, if he does, when should we probably expect to see him?
@7IHd Yes. Hopefully he's starting by the end of the season. He's eligible as soon as week 6, but I'd guess it'll be closer to week 9 when we'll see him.
@Cleansweep1876 IR'ed yesterday
I don't think you'll see a long snapper on the practice squad. If one is needed mid-season you pick up a free agent. It's not like they have a huge playbook to pick up.
I don't think we'll have 6 OLBs on the regular roster. Fugger likely on the practice squad due to lack of reps.
Man, that right side of the O-Line is ugly. And I don't mean, looking in the mirror ugly. I'm talking open screen door ugly.
@Kyle Rodriguez I could see Pagano keeping both. You have to take injuries into account especially when you're talking the Indy CBs specifically Jerraud Powers
Re: Overton. Keeping him and releasing Snow would be one way to give the Colts some cap room. That said, I have no idea how good Overton is at LS (I just didn't pay that close attention to thegames), and I'm not sure at hat point vet salaries become guaranteed (I think it's Week 1 of the regular season?.
I think it looks pretty good, I have to think that Olsen could be a casualty to the waiver wire after his performance so far, as far as NT warren just gut let go by the Patriots, could be a nice vet to step in and play some good minutes until Chapman gets healthy.
CB position depth still looks iffy, not to excited about Lindsey, but that is another one of those waiver situations.
Would not be surprised if we got a backup for Fleener either.
Quick question, any chance Carter gets cut?